Most guests crash upon the floor of Bar's 'hut'... others live nearby and thereby make the short commute... we, on the other hand, will be staying in a nearby motel this year (in years past we've stayed at Kong's - but since then, Bar and Kong have married and now share their residence)... still others attempt to stay 'up ALL night'.
Like a true convention for science teachers, pharmacists, computer engineers or otherwise... Bar sets up a website for registration. Upon arrival, those who have registered in advance are given goody bags (with candy, fun money - this year we'll get Space Bucks to go along with the 'BarCon in Space' theme, souvenir magnets, nametags and other nonesense). Throughout the weekend, guests can earn 'Space Bucks' for participating in games, helping with chores, bringing yummy goodies to share, winning games, hosting games, etc. On the final day, during the 'Blast Off BarBQ' - Bar facilitates an auction whereby guests can use their space bucks to bid on items (games donated by the corporate sponsor, t-shirts, etc.) It is a great weekend and is considered by some (my daughter) to be a national holiday!
My dad, who joins us for our annual camping trip every year, has remarked that even though we are speaking English, he sometimes has a difficult time deciphering what we are actually saying. Therefore, I thought I would share a list of 13 favorite quotes, in honor of Bar, Kong. Bef and all the other 'bar-ticipants' ...
1. "BarCon is all about Smoking, Drinking, and Babies." ~ Bot, in an attempt to describe BarCon to his wife and colleagues.
2. "Merrrrrr?" or "Bebe?" ~ Bef's standard greeting
3. "Updates?" or the variations "Your update?" and "What do you HAVE there?" ~ Bef
4. "People are *bleep* animals." ~ Tim, in response to seeing the horrid mess and filth in the bathroom one year at Indian Mary.
5. "I'm so *bleep* sick of all this technology." ~ Me, in frustration to not being able to simply turn the channel because there are 6 remote controls!
6. Random word dictionary:
- fish = water bottle
- on the realms = playing WarCraft
- lambis bread = ciabatta bread (as per DD, her favorite item on the buffet in Hawaii, Bef called it lambis bread in reference to Lord of the Rings and it stuck)
- ka ka, ka ka = time to wake up (originally stated by Bar?, attempting to imitate the crows that awake us in the morning at Indian Mary, it has since become our standard 'alarm clock sound' or when we generally want to pester someone)
- hut = one's home or house
- andre = giant or big
- larder or the Y2K = pantry
- geflings or dinkums = children
- artic = shower
- hit the links = disc golf
8. "If you do it right, you don't get wet." ~ Kong '07
9. "That's misery." ~ Bot
10. "I could eat." and the variation "What's Bef got in his larder?" ~ Wrench
11. "Let's get it over with!" or the variations, "I just want to get it over with." and "Get it done!" ~ BuD
12. "Maximize the fun!" ~ BuD '07
13. "Will ya spot me?" ~ Dic
Let me know if I missed any.... :)