Thursday, October 25, 2007

His First Expulsion

My workout got cut short today and it was completely out of my control.

The day started out relatively normal. I had an routine eye appointment at 9:30 (prescription is relatively constant - good news). I then took the kiddos to childcare at the fitness center so that I could do my prescribed run (3 miles @ 8:30, 6x800m @ 3:37, and 3 miles @ 8:00) sans stroller.

I started out on the trail with a 1 mile warm-up... I didn't even look to see what my average pace was... I'd guess about 9:20. I then set the virtual partner on the Garmin for 3 miles at a 8:35 pace. I felt strong thoughout and my heel didn't bother me a bit! I finished with 25:37... Perfect! I then hit the treadmill inside for the 800s. However, our weekly obligations require that I get home by 1 p.m. so I opted to do just 4 800s rather than the prescribed 6. I completed each at 3:32, 3:31, 3:29, and 3:29. I then went to the drinking fountain for some water... and I looked up to find Alisa, one of the childcare providers.

She informed me that my lil' Buddy was hitting, kicking, and scratching. She had tried to find me earlier when I was on the trail but hadn't... so he had had multiple offenses in the hour he was there. To top it off, he has had two prior incidences for which he was written up. So... I had to pull him (and thereby his sister) out. We are now on a 2-week involuntary 'vacation'.

I was so mad... so embarrassed. Tears actually started to pool up in my eyes. I didn't know what to say other than, "I'm so sorry." Alisa would then apologize to me - why, I'm not sure. I completely understand their policy. It makes complete sense.

It is just that the fitness center / on-site childcare is my saving grace! I become psychotic without exercise. I've signed up for a marathon! How am I going to continue to train without childcare? I don't have alternatives. My mind was racing. I told Buddy how upset I was with him. He started to cry. As I walked to the car, I started to doubt the possibilities of continuing with my training plan.

By the time I got home, though, I started to calm down. I do have alternatives... I just need to get creative. It is just a 2-week hiatus.

To summarize, I didn't complete the prescribed plan (although it started out fantastic!) due to circumstances beyond my control. However, I did manage to do 6 miles. We'll see what the weekend brings.


  1. Grrrrrr! The l'il rug rats should come with remote controls :-)

  2. I must admit that I skimmed your story at first. I read "virtual partner on the Garmin" and later read "my lil' Buddy was hitting, kicking, and scratching". When you said my lil' Buddy, I thought you were talking about your virtual partner! LOL!

    Don't worry about the hitting, kicking and scratching. My little buddy went through that phase and came out okay on the other side.

  3. Ah, the joys of motherhood. Just when we have a goal in sight, life happens!

    I'm so sorry, hon. And I know about being embarassed, but it's nothing that childcare providers and other parents haven't seen. So you know you're not alone.

    I hope you're able to figure out some alternatives to your training.

    I'm coming out of this stomach bug in one piece but I'm now a bit behind in my running and workouts. Grrr. There's life getting in the way again!

  4. Quote...lil' Buddy was hitting, kicking, and scratching...Unquote

    because he has not able to verbalize his needs/wants/thoughts. I won't say I can relay because individual experience is personal and subjective. I however sympathesize and can say all these will come to pass...sooner than you can imagine! Believe in every challenge, there is another opportunity, another idea. Be assured "sweetie" is learning in each instance how you may arise to that challenge...we'd be happy to watch over your precious ones during your trainings. Give me a call. We're heading back mid-morning today and will be home later this afternoon. Blessings, Sarah


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.