Sunday, June 8, 2008

To Run or Not to Run? ~ Dirty Half Part 1

There were multiple occasions this past week when I questioned whether or not I should even participate in the Dirty Half this year.  Though I registered months ago, I just haven't kept my training level up since the Eugene Marathon.  

The final for the art class I am taking to renew my teaching credential is due on Wednesday and I admittedly have procrastinated.  I put a tremendous amount of time into creating the required 24 week curriculum - only to discover yesterday that I had overlooked major components and the time I invested was for naught.  Anyway - I have been stressing about this class more than I need to really.  

Then Mother Nature comes for a visit... I catch a little cold... get little sleep last night. Buddy woke up at 3 a.m. screaming, "MOMMY!  MOMMY!"  Apparently he wet his bed so I had to address his needs before I could return to my distressed slumber.

I just wasn't feeling it, ya know?  I had paid the race fee though so I figured I better at least show up to earn that T-shirt and the coveted mug at the finish line.  My only goal being to enjoy myself and NOT FALL DOWN!!

Morning finally arrived and as I proceeded to eat an English Muffin and prepare my Camelback for the trail, I inadvertently screwed the lid on askew and had to get DH to help me get it off again.  He was successful but also managed to spill much of the water out which was quickly soaked up on the inside fabric part of the pouch - the part that would rest upon my lower back. DH teased me that it would eventually be wet with sweat anyway but I didn't want to start that way so I held it beneath the hair dryer for a time.

The rest of the morning was uneventful.  DH and the kiddos drove me to the trailhead, each one giving me a kiss for good luck.  I then walked down to the finish area and picked up my bib.  I looked around for runners I knew but didn't find one until just before the gun.  I ended up lining up next to a woman I ran with occasionally a year or so ago (she used to live in the neighborhood but has since moved and we've basically lost contact).  We chatted briefly, she introduced me to a couple of other ladies, and we were off.


  1. Good for you for getting up and getting out there to race Looking forward to part 2!

  2. Ooh... so much happening prior to the race! I Hope it went well and you are feeling better!

  3. Wow.. thats tough - good work showing up. Whats with suspense on the finish time :)


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.